Ramsden.info - Locations named Ramsden
Back to Index
Ramsden Point, (http://www.placenames.com/us/p1991140/)
Prince of Wales-Outer Ketchikan County, Alaska, Latitude: 54.98389 Longitude: -130.10306
on the southern most coastal finger of Alaska against the Water Canadian border. Note that
the waterway is named Observation Inlet.
Ramsden Point general location on map of Canada
Ramsden Point Alaska
located roughly in the centre of the map
overlooking Observatory Inlet (left of Kincolith, Canada)
According to http://www.onterm.gov.on.ca/geo/details_e.asp?letter=r&ind=251 the geonames database of the Ontario Canada government, there's a Ramsden Trig point in Sudbury, a Ramsden Island in Leeds and Grenville, and a Ramsden Lake at Sudbury.
There's also three separate places called Ramsden in England at Kent, Oxfordshire, and Worchestershire, UK.
There's even a Ramsden Reservoir supplying Huddersfield in South Yorkshire, UK.
Ramsden Building and Ramsden Workshop in University of Huddersfield, Yorkshire, UK.
Ramsden Building, University of Huddersfield
There's an accommodation house which has been named after Ramsden Farm in Kent.
Ramsden Farm Cottage, Kent
According to http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontario/toronto/the_ramsden_building_2/ there are 2 skyscrapers in Ontario named Ramsden 1 & 2, located at 980 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada. A 10 floor and an 8 floor residential buildings.
According to http://www.shirleysociety.org/index.html there's a Ramsden Room at St Catherine's College, University of Cambridge.
Ramsden Room, University of Cambridge
Did you know that there's a Ramsden Superstore on Ramsden's Corner in Grimsby in England?
Ramsden Superstore, Grimsby
There's a non-profit social club named after Ramsden Heath village adjacent to a beautiful and peaceful stone village on the north-east edge of the Cotswolds, Ramsden in Oxfordshire.
Ramsden is a delightful Cotswold village tucked away off the beaten track just off the B4022 between Witney and Charlbury.
The Royal Oak is a listed Coaching Inn dating from the 17th century and was used as a watering hole for the London to Hereford stagecoach. (http://www.oxfordwine.co.uk/features/summer_05/royal_oak.html)
Royal Oak Inn, Ramsden
Also listed at http://www.oxfordshirecotswolds.org/villagesdetail.asp?village=Ramsden A beautiful and peaceful stone village on the north-east edge of the Cotswolds. Ramsden, meaning 'wild garlic valley', is another ideal base for exploring the surrounding countryside either on foot or on bicycle.
Ann's Cottage at Ramsden http://www.oxfordshirecotswolds.org/accommodationdetail.asp?accommid=37
Charming 18th century cottage in a very pretty village, with excellent pub/restaurant. Surrounded by lovely countryside, halfway between Woodstock and Burford, and only 16 miles from Oxford. Approximately 4 miles south of Charlbury. Open all year.
Ann's Cottage, Ramsden
http://www.bromley.gov.uk/content/news/news_2005/apr_2005/rams_spring.html details a cleanup campaign by London borough Bromley Council and Police focussed upon the Ramsden Estate, Orpington, Kent. Bromley is the largest London borough, and is located in the south east of the capital. One of the famous historical attractions in the borough is Charles Darwin's home - Down House. Here you can explore his home and see where Darwin worked and absorb the calm and peaceful atmosphere that so inspired him. You can also visit the world’s first ‘theme park’ located at Crystal Palace Park containing the recently restored dinosaur attraction.
Huddersfield, South Yorkshire, UK;
Orpington, Kent, UK;
Yarra, Melbourne, Australia;
According to http://members.aol.com/calderdale/mms156.html Sod House Green located at the northern intersection of Keighley Rd and Shay Lane at Ovenden, north of Halifax (north of Huddersfield) was owned by George Ramsden prior to 1738, when he sold a smithy and helm known as sod house.
As far back as any record can be found, Sod House Green was owned by the Ramsdens of Jumples, and there is no doubt that at one time some hovel built of sods or turf stood on this site, from which the place derives its name.
On May 19, 1738, George Ramsden, yeoman of Ovenden, for the sum of One Guinea, conveyed to James Wilson, of Ovenden, blacksmith, a smithy and helm known as Sod House in Ovenden, in the possession of the said James Wilson, and adjoining a parcel of ground in the possession of Joshua Smith. Joshua Wilson and Richard Wilkinson were witnesses to livery of seisin.
The George Ramsden was the second son of George Ramsden, the first owner of Jumples. He was churchwarden of Illingworth in 1733.
If the price paid for the property is any guide, the smith and helm known as Sod House might well have been the original erection of turf.
The helm would be a small enclosure or shed, at the side of the smithy, into which horses might be drawn to be shod, such as was often seen adjoining a wayside inn in pre-petrol days.
George Ramsden died in 1742, and in the same year Elizabeth Ramsden, his widow, leased a house in Sodhouse Green, Ovenden to Joshua Smith, of Ovenden, for a term of 10 years. This house and land evidently adjoined the Sod House Smithy.
Following the "Dissolution of the Monasteries"  much land became available to local landowners and entrepreneurs. As they prospered some were able to aquire separate manors and became minor gentry between Calderdale and Airedale. The monasteries had held many of the pedigrees to this time which were now deposited in the Royal College of Arms in London. After this time the number of Arms greatly increased in number, the treasury seeking revenue and the populace seeking elitism, social recognition or otherwise. The complexity, flambouyance and variety of Arms of Achievement also increased, following Henry VIII's lead.
Three enterprising individuals, Midgley of Northowram, Lacy of Cromwell Bottom and Ramsden of Longley jointly obtained possession of an area including Thornton Township formerly belonging to the Augustinian Priory of Nostell. Nostell [or St. Oswald] was among the wealthiest in Yorkshire with an annual income of 606 pounds. Ramsden took the Scholesmoor portion, Lacy the Clayton side and Midgley, Headley.
Also detailed in Extracted from Midgleyana by John Franklin Midgley http://members.tripod.com/~midgley/midgleyana09.html Three enterprising individuals Ramsden of Longley, Lacy of Cromwell Bottom and Midgley of Northowram jointly obtained possession of an area including Thornton Township formerly belonging to the Augustinian Priory of Nostell or St Oswald and situated nearer to Bradford than Halifax. On the subsequent division Ramsden took the Scholesmoor portion, Lacy the Clayton side and Midgley Headley.
http://www.longleyoldhall.co.uk/ The former home of the Ramsdens' of Longley, Lords of the Manors of Almondbury and Huddersfield
Advice written in William Ramsden's Commonplace Book at Longley Old Hall in 1544
Geyt thy goodes truly spend them precisely Set thy goodes dewly lend thou them wisely True getting wise spending Have he lyttyll or moche kepeth a man full Rutche Untyll hes ending
Longley Old Hall
http://www.longleyoldhall.co.uk/brief_history.htm Longley Old Hall is a timber framed Grade II* listed manor house. It was owned by the Ramsden family, the Lords of the Manors of Almondbury and Huddersfield, from about 1540 until 1976.
The original owners of the Hall were the del Wode family (with a variety of spellings) who are first recorded as living in Longley in 1338, although mention of a family of the same name goes back to the 1290s. Tax returns of 1379 and 1524 show the Woods' as the richest family in Almondbury.
The Wood family inter-married with the Beaumonts of Whitley over many generations. John Wood, the last of the male line at the Hall, married a Beaumont, had a Beaumont grandmother, and we think his mistress was a Beaumont. He disinherited his son at the beginning of the Reformation and was left with three eligible daughters. Elizabeth married Thomas Kay of Newsome; Cecily married Thomas Savile of Eckesley (Exley), and Jennet (or Joanna) married John Savile of New Hall, Elland. By these marriages the Woods established connections with the major land owners in the region.
The Ramsdens’ of Crawstone Hall, Greetland, had similar ambitions and in the early 16th C Robert married a Beaumont. Elizabeth, his daughter, married Henry Savile of Bradley Hall, Greetland and had three sons. Sir John was Baron of the Exchequer in 1598. Sir Henry was tutor to Queen Elizabeth, Provost of Eton College, and Warden of Merton College, Oxford where he was responsible for building the Fellows' Quad and inspiring work at the Bodleian Library. He was knighted by James I for his work in producing the Authorised version of the Bible. The third son, Thomas was a Proctor of Oxford University in 1592.
Fate brought the Ramsden, Wood and Savile dynasties closer together. John Savile died young and in 1531 his widow, Jennet Wood of Longley, married her cousin, William Ramsden, the brother of Elizabeth. William founded the fortune of the family, mainly by speculating in monastic lands, whilst living at Longley Old Hall. He had no legitimate heir and the property passed to his brother, John, who consolidated the family wealth and built New Hall.
John’s grandson, Sir John Ramsden, was Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1626 and Member of Parliament for Pontefract. During the Civil War he raised a regiment for the King, was taken prisoner at Selby in 1644. He was committed to the Tower for high treason, but was exchanged later in the year and went to Pontefract Castle where he was Colonel of the Third Division. He survived the first two sieges and helped negotiate the surrender in July 1645, even though he was "in the gout". The garrison was allowed to leave the castle with "their arms, drums beating and colours flying, and a bullet in mouth with 6 shot of powder & bullet proportionable". Sir John went to Newark Castle where he died during the siege in 1646 and is buried in the Parish Church.
Sir John must have been been as astute as his great uncle, William, as we have not found the Ramsden name amongst those fined by Parliament for supporting the King.
Following the Restoration, King Charles II did not recognise the sacrifice of Sir John Ramsden and it was left to William and Mary to honour his grandson, another John, by making him a baronet on 30th November 1689.
In 1920 the family sold their Huddersfield estate of some 4,300 acres to the Corporation. The only properties excluded from the sale were the Old Hall and an adjoining cottage. In 1977 Sir Geoffrey Pennington Ramsden, the seventh baronet, sold these properties and broke the last connection between the family and the town.
The title and the estates have separated. The present baronet, the 9th., is Sir John Charles Josslyn Ramsden, who was born in 1950 and succeeded to the title in 1987. What was the Ramsden Estate is now part of the Pennington Estate at Muncaster Castle, Cumbria. The present owner is a daughter of Sir Geoffrey Pennington Ramsden.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~lawedd/WHCBLDG1868-71.htm Indeed, there are public web records indicating that prior to 1860, Longley Hall was the business centre of a Sir John William Ramsden located between the family's two main estates of rural Almondbury and Huddersfield, and that they also had a country house in the 1870's called Byram located near Knottingley, West Yorkshire. Apparently, their business centre later moved to Huddersfield (which they owned much of) and which became more commercial with the construction of the government railway through the town (in the 1880's).
J W Ramsden is responsible for the land donation and an initial £500 for the construction of the Church of St John the Evangelist, Newsome, near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire in 1871-1872. Interestingly, Huddersfield is also the location of the Ramsden Reservoir completed in 1880, so it's not hard to make an assumed link between it and this Ramsden.
According to http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Almondbury/more.html In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Almondbury "LONGLEY HALL, a single house in the township and parish of Almondbury, 1 mile from Huddersfield. An ancient seat of the ancestors of Sir John Ramsden, Bart."
According to http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/ppom102004.htm Longley Old Hall was originally owned by the Wood family, whose financial returns of 1379 placed them as the richest family in the area of Almondbury. Through marriage, the Old Hall passed into the hands of the Ramsden family in the mid-16th century, remaining in the family until 1920 when they sold their 4,300 acre estate to Huddersfield Corporation. The only properties excluded from the sale were the Old Hall and an adjoining cottage. These were finally sold in 1977, severing the Ramsden's long-standing connections between the family and the town.
According to http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/jim.shead/History13.html Huddersfield Broad Canal Description: Also known as Sir John Ramsden's Canal, this 3.5 mile navigation links the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to the Calder and Hebble navigation at Cooper Bridge. Promoted under an Act of 1774 and opened in 1776. And to http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/jim.shead/Chronology22.html Arranged with Sir John Ramsden for enlarged carrying trade premises at the Huddersfield wharf.
According to the Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" for ALMONDBURY in
Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822
Joseph Ramsden is listed as Miscellany trades Yeoman
James, Richard, and William Ramsden are listed as Woollen manufacturers
According to http://members.aol.com/calderdale2/r.html#r277
Ramsbottom: A surname derived from rams and bottom, meaning valley of the wild garlic. See Ramsden
Ramsden: A surname derived from rams and dene, meaning valley of the wild garlic. See Ramsbottom
Dene Also Den. Anglo-Saxon element used in place names
Den Also dene: Anglo-Saxon element used in place names – such as Hebden, Ovenden – and means valley. The Anglo-Saxon element denn was a woodland pasture – often for pigs
Anglo-Saxon The term Anglo-Saxon is a general term for the Germanic Angles and Saxon peoples who came to Britain after the Romans left in the 5th century. The term includes Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Swabians, Frisians. It is likely that Germanic people came to Britain with the Roman army, and these may have stayed on when the Romans left. The first settlers were those who followed Hengest and Horsa. Anglo-Saxon rule came to an end in 1066, when Edward the Confessor, who had no heirs, passed the kingdom to William the Conqueror Anglo-Saxon tribes include Gifla, Hwicce, Hreope (who gave us the name Ripon), Wixan.
The name Saxon may be derived from seax meaning a knife or a sword.
The invaders came from northern Germany and Friesland, and left many place names as reminders.
Ramsden family Yeomen clothiers. The family established a considerable estate in the Illingworth and Jumples area and the name is still found in the district. See Bowers Hall, Barkisland, Crawstone Hall, Greetland, Ye Farre Close, High Trees Hall, Barkisland, Jumples House, Kirklees Hall, Brighouse, Upper Rookes Hall, Norwood Green
Ramsden A surname derived from rams and dene, meaning valley of the wild garlic. See Ramsbottom
Ramsden, Alfred [1827-1892] JP. Born at Popples School House. He worked as a druggist with Mr Lofthouse – in a shop known as The House at the Maypole – in Corn Market and later with Jabez Waterhouse in Broad Street. He subsequently bought the Waterhouse business. He worked as a correspondent for the Leeds Mercury and – from 1857 – for the Halifax Courier. From 1892, he was editor, manager – and later part owner – of the Halifax Courier, and in 1892, he was the founder of the Halifax Evening Courier. He was a preacher and taught at the Hanover Chapel Sunday School for 20 years. He was the father of Clifford Ramsden.
He was Mayor of Halifax [1883-1884]
He encouraged Joseph Rideal Smith's artistic talents
Ramsden, Camm & Company Wire manufacturers. Established at Robin Hood Mill, Clifton Road in 1840. The business moved to Armytage Road, Brighouse
Ramsden, Clifford [1880-1954] Son of Alfred Ramsden, he followed his father in becoming Editor and Managing Director of Halifax Courier Limited
Ramsden Clough Reservoir, Todmorden See Ramsden Clough
Ramsden Clough, Walsden A stream which flows from Ramsden Clough Reservoir to join Walsden Water at Bottoms. See Ragby Bridge, Walsden, Ramsden Wood Mill, Walsden
Ramsden, Daniel [1789-1865] Born in Bradford. The family moved to Boothtown. He worked in a cotton mill at Halifax. He became book-keeper and manager of a corn mill at Luddendenfoot, and later established his own corn merchant at Woolshops with a warehouse in Broad Street. He lived at Kingston. He was Mayor of Halifax [1860-1861] and laid the corner-stone of Halifax Town Hall
Ramsden, Emma [1???-1???] Daughter of John Ramsden. Second wife of Robert Crossley
Ramsden, George [1???-16??] Built Heath Hall, Halifax
Ramsden, George [1???-1???] The first owner of Jumples. Father of George Ramsden
Ramsden, George [1???-17??] Son of George Ramsden, the first owner of Jumples. Yeoman of Ovenden. He was churchwarden of Illingworth in 1733. See Sod House Green
Ramsden, George Taylor [18??-19??] He was Mayor of Halifax [1911-1912]
Ramsden, Gilbert [16??-17??] See Crawstone Hall, Greetland
Ramsden, Grace [167?-1741] Born at Crowstone, Upper Greetland, the daughter of Joseph Ramsden. She had two brothers by her father's first marriage, and two brothers and a sister by his second marriage. Her sister, Mrs Susanna Ramsden, died in 1734 before she was able to fulfil her own wish to found a school near Elland parish church for the poor boys of Elland and Greetland. Grace then inherited all her father's estate, and in a will which she made in December 1734, Grace donated money for the establishment of Grace Ramsden's School
Grace Ramsden's School A school for the instruction – to read the English language, to write a plain legible hand, and to understand common arithmetic – to 24 poor boys of the township of Elland and Greetland was founded in 1734 by the will of Grace Ramsden. The school was known as the Back o' Church school because it was adjacent to Elland Parish Church. In 1809, further property was bought, and between 1815-1817 and again in 1891, the school was almost rebuilt. In 1966, the school was forced to close for economic reasons. The playground was converted into a council car park in 1967
Ramsden, Henry [15??-1638] Vicar of Halifax from 1629. Brother of Hugh Ramsden. He is buried in the chancel of the church
Ramsden, Hugh [15??-1629] Vicar of Halifax from 1628. Brother of Henry Ramsden. He died at York
Ramsden, Jesse [1735-1800] Scientific instrument maker and inventor, and maker of the first effective screw-cutting lathes, born at Salterhebble
Ramsden, John [15??-16??] Built Hoyle House, Warley
Ramsden, John [1???-1???] Of Halifax. Father of Emma Ramsden
Ramsden, Joseph [16??-1698] Lived at Crowstone Hall, Greetland. He married Elizabeth Finch
Ramsden, Robert [15??-1???] See St Matthew's Church, Rastrick
Ramsden, Robert [1???-16??] Of Stoney Royd. He was one of the electorate of 59 people when Jeremy Bentley was elected first MP for Halifax in 1654
Ramsden, Thomas [16??-1698] Lived at Crowstone Hall, Greetland. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Finch, a merchant from Kent, and Judith Horton, daughter of William Horton, of Coley Hall. See Sod House Green
Ramsden, Thomas [18??-1???] See Thomas Ramsden & Son Limited
Ramsden's: Thomas Ramsden & Son Limited Established by Thomas Ramsden at the Clough Brewery, Mixenden. In 1881, they acquired the town centre brewery of Lupton & Charnock, then Brear & Brown, and then John Naylor's Halifax Brewery. The firm eventually became Ramsden's Stone Trough Brewery
Ramsden's Stone Trough Brewery The Stone Trough Brewery at Ward's End was established by Peter Beck and became Thomas Ramsden & Son Limited in 1881. There was a trough in the yard with water piped from the spring at Well Head, and beers were brewed from this supply. A new building was constructed at Ward's End by Horsfall's in 1887. The brewery was taken over by Joshua Tetley & Sons of Leeds – a subsidiary of Allied Breweries Limited – in 1964, and the premises were finally demolished in 1968. The brewery and stables were situated on the present site of the head office of the Halifax PLC. See Gilbert Brook
Ramson Aka Rams, Ransoms. A name for wild, broad-leaved garlic. See Ramsbottom, Ramsden
According to http://members.aol.com/calderdale/j.html#j22
Jumples Area of Illingworth / Mixenden to the north of Halifax. The name may derive from the way in which the stream jumps over the stones and the rocky river bed, and is used in several local features: Jumples House, Jumples Hole, Jumples Syke, Jumples Bridge and Jumples Mill
Jumples Beck Name given to the Hebble along part of its length
Jumples House In 1710, Jumples Mill and the house were purchased by George Ramsden and the Ramsden family. In 1870, it was substantially rebuilt by Thomas Ramsden. His son, John Taylor Ramsden, then took over the house, to be followed by the next generation, George Taylor Ramsden. The family lived at Jumples House until well into the 20th century. In 1961, the house was demolished by Halifax Corporation. The site was needed for high rise blocks to provide homes for hundreds of families
Jumples housing The 14-storey skyscraper flats opened in June 1965 near the site of the old Jumples House. Originally there were six blocks, providing a total of 576 flats, but Crag Court – named after nearby Crag Lane – was demolished
Jumples Mills, Ovenden In 1710, Jumples House and the mill were purchased by George Ramsden and the Ramsden family
Honour: A large collection of estates or manors, usually centred around a castle. See Honour of Pontefract
Honour of Pontefract Aka Barony of Pontefract. A group of 204 small manors – an honour – which included areas around Pontefract and also the townships of Brighouse, Elland, Greetland and Southowram, first granted to Ilbert de Lacy in 1067. The areas had previously been owned by Gamel. The Honour also included Huddersfield, Bradford, Leeds, and Holmfirth. The Honour of Pontefract was later granted to John of Gaunt
Lacy, Ilbert de [10??-10??] or Laci. One of two brothers – Walter de Lacy and Ilbert – from Lassi, south of Bayeux, France, who were given English land in return for services to William the Conqueror during the Norman Conquest. In 1067, Ilbert was granted the Honour of Pontefract, and the family were based at Ponfret Castle which they held there. The townships of Elland, Greetland and Southowram were a part of his Manor – they were previously owned by Gamel, a Saxon thane
Gamel Son of Ukil. A Saxon thane who owned the townships of Brighouse, Elland, Greetland, Southowram – and the manor of Rochdale – before they were a part of the Honour of Pontefract of Ilbert de Lacy. After the land was granted to Ilbert, it was still managed by Gamel, then Orm, his son, then Leising
Leising or Leisingus [11??-11??] A descendant of Gamel. He managed Elland for the absentee landowners, the de Lacy family. He held the Manor of Rochdale. He lived at Elland Hall and was succeeded by his son Henry de Eland
Eland, Henry de [1???-1???] Son of Leising de Eland. Elland Parish Church was built at his instigation. He was succeeded by his son Sir Hugh de Eland
Eland, Sir Hugh de [1???-1???] Son of Henry de Eland. He was succeeded by his son Sir John de Eland
Eland, Sir John de [12??-1???] Son of Sir Hugh de Eland. He quarrelled with John Quarmby over land at Stainland. He became High Sheriff of Yorkshire. He was succeeded by Sir Hugh de Eland
Eland, Sir Hugh de [1???-1???] Son of Sir John de Eland. He was father of Sir John Elland
Elland, Sir John [1???-1353] or De Eland. The son of Sir Hugh de Eland. He was High Steward to the Earls of Warren. He was prosperous, and lord of the Manor of Elland, Rochdale, Brighouse and other districts, and owned other land in the district. He lived at what is now the Shibden Mill Inn. He was murdered at Lane Head, Brighouse during the Elland feud. He was succeeded by his son Sir John Elland
Elland, Sir John [13??-135?] The son of Sir John Elland He was murdered at Elland during the Elland feud. He was the last of lords of Elland
Elland Hall See New Hall, Elland, Old Hall, Elland
Old Hall, Elland Built for Leising de Eland on the site of a house of Gamel, and family home of the Elland – or Eland family during the 14th century. The house was a 13th century cruck structure cased in stone and was situated at the Exley end of Elland Bridge, overlooking the bridge. Sir John Elland lived here at the time of the Elland Feud. The house was at one time owned by the Savile family after the Elland Feud.
It was demolished in 1976 to make way for the Elland bypass; the stones and the original timber frames were put into storage for the planned construction of a replica house on the Leeds-Harrogate road
According to http://www.longleyoldhall.co.uk/table%20of%20dates.htm
71-74 Earliest Roman route between Chester and York using native tracks over Pennines. Forts built at Meltham and Kirklees Park with route passing round the north of Castle Hill (Camulodunum (the "hill fort of Camulos")?). There is a possibility it then came down the hill through or close to Longley to the ford a Mold Green, then to Kirklees. (Source: Huddersfield in Roman Times by Ian A Richmond, Tolson Museum 1925)
79-80 Meltham to Kirklees route abandoned in favour of easier route to the north through Slack and Rastrick
c1066 William I grants The Honour of Pontefract (204 manors) to Ilbert de Laci, including the Manor of Almondbury
1086 The Doomsday Book reports "Almanberie" has four carucates of taxable land, possibly four ploughs, and apart from woodland of a square mile the remainder is waste. The value is three pounds
1298 Anabel del Wood, widow of Richard de Beaumont held a grant of land from Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, comprising a messuage and 101 acres in Huddersfield for life
1312 Thomas Plantagenet, Earl of Lancaster, married to Alice de Lacy, assumed the Honour of Pontefract on the death of Henry
1322 Thomas rebels against Edward III and is defeated at the Battle of Boroughbridge and executed at Pontefract on 23 March. The de Lacy estates pass eventually to Henry Plantagenet, whose son became the first Duke of Lancaster in 1352
1330 Robertus del Wodde witnesses a deed
1341 Robertus del Wodde murdered in what may have been part of the Eland Feud between the de Beaumont and the de Eland families
1342 Document signed by Majoria del Wodde (nee de Beaumont) relieving Sir John de Beaumont of responsibility for the death of her husband Robertus
1354 Thomas de la Wodde alive
1370 Willelmus de Wodde has a charter of messuages in Huddersfield dated "Monday next after the Purification"
1379 Willelmus de Wodde, described as a wright, assessed at 6d. in the Subsidy Roll of Richard II - the highest in the parish of Almanbury (sic)
1471 George Wood, the father of John, was involved in the "Hall Bower Murders", just a mile to the south of the hall. It appears he supported the Beaumonts of Newsome (his wife's family) in a dispute with the Kays of Woodsome. Nicholas Beaumont and his son Johnkyn of the Beaumont faction were killed, as was a Thomas Adderley of the Kay side. One Beaumont and three Kays were injured. The culprits suffered nothing worse than fines! Was it to do with the civil war or a family dispute? (The Hall Bower Book of Memories, 2000)
1475 John Wode born at Longley
1484 Lawrence Wodde, generosus, alive. Visitation of Yorkshire records the coat of arms of Wodde (argent, three fleurs de lis, between cotises sable, a border engrailed with the last) in a north window of Almondbury Parish Church. An inscription on the window read - Orate pro animis Lawrentii Wodde, Johannae ux., Geogii Wodde, Isabella ux. filiorum et filiarum meorum
1502 John Wode, generosus, married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Richard Beaumont of Whitley, by special licence because of consanguinity
1506? Cecily Wode born
1508 Jennet Wode born
1513 William Ramsden born at Crawstone Hall, Greetland, Elland
1523 John Wodd assessed on lands of £10 0s 0d in the Subsidy Roll - amounting to 10s 0d tax paid, the highest by far in the parish of Almondburry (sic)
1524 Marriage between Joanna (Jennet) Wodd of Longley and John Savile of New Hall, Elland
1528 Johannes Wode sold to Thomas Kay for £40, three shops in Huddersfeld (sic), three closes in Huddersfeld and five closes in Almundbury
1531 Settlement between John Wodd of Longley and Robert Ramsden of Elland in respect of the marriage of Joanna (also known as Jennet and Joan, and now a widow) with William Ramsden. The deed was witnessed by Gilbert Beaumount, Thomas Beaumount, John Heep, Richard Appleyard, Geoffrey Romsden (sic) and "many others"
1536 Cecily Wode engaged to John Appleyard of Longley
1538 John Wodd dies and directs his body to be buried before the altar of St Nicholas in Almondbury Parish Church
??? Cecily Wode marries Thomas Sayvill (Savile) of Exley Hall, Elland
1540 Thomas Sayvill agrees to pay Richard Appleyard 50 marks (a mark is worth 13s 4d) paid over 30 months, for marrying Cecily whilst she was betrothed to John. Part of the security is Longley Hall (later called Longley Old Hall). William Ramsden, Thomas Sayvile and Hugh Sayvell give a bond agreeing to pay Richard Appleyard £100 if Thomas defaults
1540? William and Joanna Ramsden appear to have possession of Longley Old Hall
1541 William Ramsden in the ownership of two fulling mills next to the King's Mill
1544 William Ramsden owes the Crown £800 for the purchase of monastic lands. Appointed Woodward General for all the woods in Yorkshire at an annual stipend of £6.13s 4d
1545 William Ramsden appointed bailiff and collector of the Manor of Tadcaster at a stipend of £3. 0s 8d
William Ramsden acquires property at Kirklees Priory, which he sold later to John Armytage
1549 Birth of Henry Savile of Bradley Hall, Greetland. Son of Elizabeth Ramsden and nephew of William and John. Sometime tutor to Queen Elizabeth, Provost of Eton College and Warden of Merton College, Oxford. Translator of Ptolemy, Euclid and Tacitus. Knighted by James I for his work in translating the Bible.
1550 William sells Crawstone Hall, Greetland, for £63 to his cousin George Ramsden
1554 Edward VI takes possession of William's lands for non payment of "divers and sundry great sums of money .... whereof the said William Ramsden became indebted unto the same late King" ie. Henry VIII
1557 William was committed to the Fleet prison on 28th May, by Mary I
1559 William was pardoned by Elizabeth
1565 William was outlawed for not appearing to answer a charge for the payment of a debt of £50. He ended up in the Fleet, but was pardoned the same year.
1568 Henry Savile, the Sheriff of Yorkshire (most probably a relation by marriage) ordered the seizure of William's land for the non-payment of the £800 owing to the Crown from 1544
1574 An Inquisition into William's affairs found he had undervalued his lands. As an example, the old Hall at Longley he valued at £8 6s 8d, whereas it was found to be worth £17.
1574 The future Sir Richard (Black Dick) Beaumont the first baronet of Whitley Beaumont was born at Longley Old Hall. His mother, Elizabeth, was the daughter of John Ramsden and niece of William. She had returned to the Hall to be with her mother.
1575 John Ramsden granted arms - argent, on a chevron sable, between three rams heads couped argent
1576 John Ramsden commenced building New Hall, now known as Longley Hall
1580 William Ramsden dies at London and is buried at the church of St Sepulchre without Newgate. His estate passes to his brother, John.
1583 Longley Old Hall is in the tenancy of a John Appleyard, gentleman ,who is most probably an in law of John Ramsden, for there is some evidence he married a Margaret Appleyard of Longley. This may be the John Appleyard spurned by Cecily Wodde 40 years earlier. A deed sets out the arrangement for the marriage of John's son, Richard, to Elizabeth Crosland of Crosland Hill, daughter of Thomas. Thomas had to pay £150 to Richard. As part of the arrangement, John Ramsden granted a life tenancy of the Hall to John, then for the use of Richard Appleyard and his heirs. John Appleyard is granted "one parlor and one chamber" rent free for his life, save for the payment of eight shillings to the Queen"
1584 Inquisition by Queen Elizabeth into he Manor of Almanbury, which details all the property owned by John Ramsden
1591 John Ramsden dies and is succeeded by his son, William
1599 William Ramsden purchases the Manor of Huddersfield from Queen Elizabeth I for £965 0s 9p
1600 William married for the second time - Mary, the widow of Henry Batte of Oakwell Hall, Birstall
1609 William Ramsden and others petition James VI for the foundation of a grammar school at Almondbury
1619 John Ramsden, son of William is knighted
1623 William Ramsden dies and is succeeded by his son, Sir John
1626 Sir John MP for Pontefract
1629 Sir John Ramsden purchases the Manor of Almondbury from James VI
1644 Sir John captured by Parliamentary Army at Selby and committed to the Tower of London as a traitor. In August he was exchanged for a Parliamentary prisoner held by the King
1645 Sir John was Colonel of the Third Division defending Pontefract Castle and took part in the negotiations for its surrender
1646 Sir John died during the siege of Newark and was buried at the parish church on 27 March
1671 John Ramsden, grandson of Sir John, procured a charter to hold a market in Huddersfield. As a result of this the market at Almondbury, which had been granted a charter in 1294, declined
1689 John Ramsden created the 1st baronet of Byram and Longley by William and Mary
1797 Sir John Ramsden, 4th baronet, High Sheriff of Yorkshire
1867 Sir John William Ramsden buys the Ardverikie Estate in Scotland. It is still in the family and used in the filming of the television series Monarch of the Glen
1885 Longley Old Hall restored by Sir John William Ramsden, the 5th baronet
1920 Sir John Frechville Ramsden , 6th baronet, sells the Huddersfield estate of over 4,000 acres to the Corporation, retaining Longley Old Hall and a cottage at 185 Longley.
1957 Sir J F Ramsden, of Muncaster Castle, Ravenglass, makes his Will and leaves the Hall to his son, Geoffrey William Pennington directing "him not to sell this property at any time because it was the foundation of the Ramsden Family fortune, full well knowing that this condition is not legally binding."
1958 Sir J F Ramsden dies
1959 Sir G W Pennington, 7th baronet, changes his name to Sir G W Pennington Ramsden
1975 Sir G W Pennington Ramsden sells Longley Old Hall and 185 Longley
According to http://www.nra.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/feseats.asp?FER=F4940
Ramsden family, baronets, of Byram List of seats and/or estates:
Byram, Yorkshire Longley Hall, Yorkshire Buckden, Yorkshire Bulstrode, Buckinghamshire
Col visit http://www.nra.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/placesearch.asp
http://www.openwriting.com/archives/2004/11/old_almondbury.php Memories of growing up in Almondbury (Huddersfield) in the 1920s and mention of using the Longley Hall High School, which was also situated in glorious surroundings, the former home of Sir John Ramsden. By Gwen Drewery (Huddersfield U3A) - November 30, 2004.
Back to top | Previous page | Back to Index